Friday, April 27, 2012

What does Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" mean?

Today I asked my 7th graders to listen to Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" as they read the lyrics. Their assignment was to tell me what "set fire to the rain" might mean. They were told that it was for participation points.

Here are some of the more interesting responses:


"I don't care, but I participated. So, therefore I get full credit points. You have to give me an A. And this has no relevance to language I'll need in life."  -- N.H.

"I think she was burning pictures of someone who cheated on her, and all of the pictures made her cry." -- S.R.

"This girl really liked this guy, then she realized he was a crappy guy. Then she ended the tears by setting fire to the relationship."  --E.Z.

"I think it means they don't go well together."  -- K.W.

"I think it means that a guy broke her heart, and so the girl got rid of him by throwing their relationship into the fire and let it burn. The rain means she's crying." -- M.N.

"Two people broke up because there was a side to the guy that the girl didn't know. Rain is her tears. The guy lied, played games and always won."  -- A.S.

"She broke up with her boyfriend and now she is getting over it. In other words, she threw their relationship into the fire. - OR - She broke up with him because he was a flippin' jerk!"  -- M.D.

"Fire is anger, and rain is sadness."  -- A.C.

"She had a boyfriend and found out a different side to him. And then he left her, and her heart burns?" -- N.P.

"Her tears are the rain."  -- M.P.


No comments: