Friday, November 07, 2008

Southwest Chicken Soup (for a head cold)

Today is Friday. I'd whoop, but it might split my head in two. Remember the dizziness I complained of about a week ago? I found out what was causing it. Sinus congestion -- the start of a head cold.

Now the cold has made it's way down to my nose/throat/chest. Today's Focus on Food post features the recipe for a spicy chicken soup that I'm hoping will help clear my head. (I made it yesterday. The kids find it too spicy. Great. All the more for Hubby and me.)

Southwest Chicken Soup

1 1/2 lbs. cooked, shredded chicken
1 - 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 - 16 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce
2 - 4 oz. cans chopped green chiles
1 - 15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. minced garlic (great for colds!)
2 c. water
1 - 15 oz. can chicken broth
2 tsp. each chili powder, salt
1 tsp. each cumin, black pepper (or to taste)
1 - 15 oz. can corn, drained
2 Tbsp. cilantro, choppped (this is optional. I don't add it.)

In a crockpot combine all ingredients. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours.

To serve: spoon into deep bowl and garnish with cheese, sour cream and avacado as desired. For those not following a low-carb diet, corn chips may be served on the side.

2 comments:

Suko said...

I love homemade soup, and this sounds really good. I hope your cold will vanish soon. :)

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Great minds think alike as I just posted a soup recipe very similar to yours!! I know yours is a winner!!