Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How a friend can make all the difference

I have a strange and unusual compulsion to analyze what's keeping me from being content and happy. And for the past few months, it's been my weight.

I'm at an all-time high. More than I weighed at full term with any of my pregnancies. Blech!

I know that happiness shouldn't be centered on what the scale says, but knowing something and feeling something are not the same thing. I feel fat. And it niggles at me throughout the day, eating away at my happiness.

Ever since I started teaching school two years ago I've fallen out of the habit of regular exercise. I know I need it, it helps me feel better, energizes me, and yet I still haven't made it a part of my routine.

Until yesterday.

I've finally found an exercise buddy! And it's making all the difference.

As part of my analysis on how to get healthy and happy, last week I jotted down some of my biggest obstacles -- the things that are stumbling blocks for me when it comes to fitness.  They are:


  • Sugars -- once I have a taste of sweet, I'm left wanting more. And more. And more.
  • Boredom eating.
  • Managing my environment -- having treats around the house.
  • Succumbing to the "I'm taking a break" mentality
  • Making excuses.
  • Not having an exercise buddy.
  • Ignoring and/or overriding hunger signals.
  • Eating too fast.
  • Multitasking while I'm eating.
  • All or nothing thinking.
Of all those challenges, I instantly saw one I could do something about -- not having an exercise buddy.

Sunday after church I cornered Susan. (This spring as I was driving to work before 7:00 AM, I'd often see her walking along my road.) "Susan," I said, "would it be possible for me to join you on your morning walks?"

Fortunately, she said yes.

We meet to walk at 6:00 AM -- a time I wouldn't normally see without having made a commitment to meet Susan. We walk and gab, and gab and walk. And before we know it, we've got our hour in and it's time to head home. I love it!

I can let myself down, turn off the alarm and go back to sleep. But when I've said I'll meet up with a friend, half the time I'm up even before my alarm goes off.

Aren't friends wonderful?!

No comments: