Tuesday, April 07, 2009

No More Dieting!

I'm a little more than half way through "Health at Every Size." I must say that it has been great having someone say that diets don't work. That diets, in fact, aren't healthy. To have somone say emphatically, "Don't diet!"

Since January I haven't been following any certain diet. And I haven't gained weight. But until I started reading this book, I felt like as soon as my tummy started feeling better and my thyroid levels got back to normal I'd return to some sort of diet. But not anymore! No more diets for me.

I feel liberated!

We're a biologically diverse people. We're not all meant to fit into the same cookie cutter shape that the media portrays as "healthy" or desirable. I'm me. I weigh what I way because of who I am. And I'm not going to try to be anyone but myself ever again.

I'm not going to exercise because I have to. I'm going to move and sweat because I want to. I'm going to walk, hike, dance, mow the lawn, work the wheel hoe, and garden up a storm because it makes me feel good -- makes me feel alive.

Food can't make me feel guilty. It's meant to nourish my body and to provide enjoyment. By listening to my body, eating when I'm hungry and stopping when I'm satisfied, I can stop eating for external reasons. No food is off limits. I can savor and enjoy every mouthful of what I'm eating. Chocolate. A crisp apple. A baked potato. Red licorice. You name it, I'm going to enjoy it.

3 comments:

Flashlight Girl said...

I do exercise because I want to, but I think that food might always hold a measure of animosity in my life. Sigh. Good for you and your new outlook!

Suko said...

Your attitude sounds healthy and sensible, Christie!

Fiauna said...

I just saw your comment on "Flashlight Girl" and linked over here. I hope you don't mind. You might not even remember me, but we went to church and high school together way back when. Andy lives across the street from me now. Kinda crazy how the internet makes the world feel so small.

By the way, your attitude on the whole diet thing sounds great. Keep up the good work.