Friday, February 06, 2009

The joys of being . . .


This is the view from the top of the mountain just off Marge's Triple at Beaver Mountain. I snapped this Wednesday morning. My daughter's elementary school does a P.E. unit on skiing and has the opportunity to go skiing at drastically reduced rates. In the morning the kids get lessons, and this mom skiied all her favorite runs. The sun was shining, and the weather was perfect!


Here we are with the lodge in the background and great big smiles on our faces. We left the haze of the valley behind and enjoyed warmth and sunshine skiing down the slopes.

Here's a little confession. I'm a very task-oriented person who likes to tick tasks off my daily to-do list. But this one day of skiing with my daughter left a big impression on me. It helped me remember that life is not a list of tasks to be checked off, it's about living and being. I spent most of Wednesday living in the present, being present for my daughter.

You've heard about the dangers of distracted driving. But what about distracted living? I'm afraid that I've been guilty of doing a lot of distracted living lately -- crossing off appointments on my calendar, planning for upcoming events, even blogging about what I've been doing -- but missing present moments.

I keep thinking back to the words of President Thomas S. Monson. He wisely taught:
1. Learn from the past.
2. Prepare for the future.
3. Live in the present.

I feel like I'm living in the present when I take the time to play darts with Beans, when I stop what I'm doing when Lou comes home from school and listen to her while she eats her after-school snack. Even just reading a book on the couch while the rest of the family is scattered around me feels like making the most of small moments. Remembering to ask my husband about his day at work and then listening and responding to what he says is living in the present.

Because I spend most of the day home while everyone else is gone to work or school, I sometimes get overly focused on my own agenda. When they return I have a hard time transitioning back into a multi-person focus. But hey, now that I've acknowledged what the problem is, I can work on improving.

Every little moment spent with a loved one is a moment to savor and cherish!

7 comments:

Cox Clan said...

That was such a fun day. I would love to have a bunch of couples go up together for a ski party. I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you were skiing later that night. I kneeled down to say my prayers and felt like I was swishing back and forth. I am task oriented too. I constantly have to remind my self that it is about my family, not what I can get done.

Flashlight Girl said...

Similar thoughts this week. My kids are growing up in a flash! Where did all the babies go? I think it was going to the maturation program at school that does it to me. For the past 2 years I've attended the "girls" section. This year (and likely for the next 6-8 years) I got to learn all about boys. I wanted to cry. It's so fun to have them grow up and experience life and be fun people, but then they will eventually leave me. Sigh. Not only live in the PRESENT, but learn to ENJOY and SAVOR it!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I hear you. It helps that my toddler focuses on the present and insists that I participate in it with her, but there are still times when I have to remind myself that what really matters is the quality of what I "accomplish," not the quantity.

And as you point out, making sweet memories with loved ones is the most important thing we can accomplish.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

What a lovely day!

Leslie said...

What a fun day! And your reflection that follows is priceless. I am going to take that same approach. I look at my kids every day and I can't believe how fast they grow up. Cherishing each moment is the best thing we can do.

Also, thanks for the insight for my talk. It turned out great and I will be happy to send it off to you. E-mail me so I can send it. I know I have had your e-mail before, but I don't know why I can't find it! My e-mail is: lslhansen@yahoo.com.

I am sure you will do great! I am convinced that with all the preparation, time, studying,and prayer, in the end it is the spirit of the Holy Ghost that is guiding us along the way. I know I said what I needed to say because I tried to follow the spirit. I am sure you are doing the same. Good luck and I would love to see your notes as well!

Suko said...

What a cute photo!
And an excellent, thoughtful post.

Angie said...

I think you rock Christie! After talking to you yesterday about snow-shoeing I now feel lazy. (But warm...) And I'm OK with that! :) If you get a chance e-mail me where you found the links to your cute "LDS Buttons". I want to add some to mine.