Monday, November 03, 2008

Money Management Thoughts from Middlemarch

I read Middlemarch by Greorge Eliot back in April of 2007 after Sister Susan Tanner mentioned it in her talk at General Conference. And this weekend I watched the BBC production on DVD. (The book is long and a bit dry. I'd suggest going with the DVD if you're interested in the story.) The outcome of the book has left me contemplating matters of money management.

I don't want to spoil the book/DVD for you, but Miss Rosamond Vincy and Doctor Tertius Lyndgate eventually marry. And despite their love and mutual attraction, they never fully realize the joyful possibilities of marriage due to conflicing philosophies about money.

As I was watching the DVD, my son was at our computer working on his fantasy basketball team. Near the end of the movie emotions ran a bit high. Rosamond cried, Dr. Lyndgate raised his voice, and my son immitated them -- much to my annoyance. But Bug's partial interest did give me an opportunity to warn him about marrying a "high maintenance model" -- a woman whose self-image is wrapped up in what she wears, buys, and acquires.

I don't know if any of my warning sunk in, but you can bet that I'll be repeating it in the future. And also trying to raise all my children not to be high maintenance individuals.

Do you have any tips?

My husband once refered to me as a "low maintenance model." He meant it as a compliment. After watching Middlemarch, that's exactly how I'm going to view it!

----------

Note: I'm going to be cutting back on my blogging. (Must get projects/shopping done for Christmas.) I'll be posting on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Given the financial outlook for our country, Monday's posts will be on money management. Wednesdays will be wacky. And I'll try to keep things fun/funny on Fridays.

4 comments:

Flashlight Girl said...

I hear you on the Christmas shopping/projects front. I'll be sure to check in MWF. I agree with the "don't marry a high maintenance girl" advice. Especially if your vocation of choice is say a high school P.E. teacher or something. However, if you have anesthesiologist leanings, maybe you can be a bit more lenient. Maybe. :0)

Science Teacher Mommy said...

But even worse than a high maintenance girl is a high maintenance boy. My younger brother married one and is one. I love them both, but oh, boy, talk about drama. And debt.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Oops, bad pronoun placement in the previous comment. My brother is not married to a man. His wife is a high-maintenance woman.

Shauna said...

When you get back to the blogging world check out my new blog :)