Thursday, October 02, 2008

What to do with tofu ...

In anticipation of making some homemade miso soup, I bought tofu at the store last week. But when I looked up on-line recipes, I discovered that the grocery stores I frequent don't carry the miso paste necessary to make the recipes. Plus the miso soup craving passed. So what am I going to do with the tofu?

I googled "tofu recipes." When in doubt, google it. Although I spent a summer as an exchange student in Japan and don't mind tofu, none of the recipes I found on-line sounded very appealing to me . . . . Until I found a tofu smoothie recipe.

I used 1/2 of my tofu package (approx 7 oz.)
1 c. half and half
1/2 c. Splenda sweetner
1/2 c. whole milk
3 fresh peaches, sliced (w/ skins)
1 c. frozen yellow raspberries
lots of ice cubes

Vroooom went the blender, and slurp went the smoothie. Right down the hatches of my hungry family.

I'll be honest with you. . . . I wasn't totally honest with my family. The smoothie didn't taste exactly like the smoothies the Hansens have been used to. If anyone in my family asked why it tasted a little different, I explained that I'd used Splenda in it instead of sugar. That satisfied them, and they finished off their smoothie.

Because I still had 1/2 a package of tofu left in the fridge, I made myself another smoothie today for an afternoon snack:

3 oz. tofu (approximately)
1/2 c. whole milk
1 fresh peach, sliced (w/ skin)
1/4 c. Splenda (scant)
12 ice cubes

I estimate that it had 11 grams of protein and 14 net carbs. And it was delicious!

2 comments:

Suko said...

Wow! I would NEVER think to put tofu in a smoothie. Very creative!!

Flashlight Girl said...

You are so brave! But if you're adding that much Splenda then it likely can't taste too bad. Sad to admit it, but I likely would have thrown out the tofu. Look on Zonya.com for other tofu recipes. Most of hers are pretty nonthreatening.