Tuesday, October 07, 2008

I Changed My Mind . . .

It's a woman's preogative to change her mind. So I did.

I'm not following Dr. Atkins' 20 grams of carbs introductory phase. I tried that for 3 days and felt yucky. Tired. Lifeless. Zapped. So I went back to eating the way that has helped me feel the best -- a moderate carbohydrate diet.

I don't eat bread and avoid most starchy carbs, but I eat fruits and vegetables along with protein and fats. And I'm not writing down what I eat. Instead, I'm trying to focus on eating when I'm hungry and really savoring what I'm eating. Living in the eating moment.

My body does best when I balance my fruit/veggies with protein/fat. That way my blood sugar doesn't spike, I don't get carb cravings, and I get plenty of fiber. I like eating foods with fiber. And they like me!

Eating this way may not melt the pounds fast, but I feel great again. The water retention is still gone, and I can eat the delicious produce that comes from our trees and garden.

What do you know -- moderation is the answer for me.

5 comments:

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

I love your way of thinking - when I did the modified version I stuck to about 40 - 60 grams a day and that seemed to work out better than 20. My energy was greater and I still saw results just took alittle longer.

Christie said...

Cathy, thanks for the encouragement! I need it today. I'll try the 60 grams. That sounds doable.

Shauna said...

Wow! I need to try harder to be better :)

MB said...

I couldn't keep my carbs that low either so I just tweaked it a little, had some fruit in the mornings and kept the carbs as low as possible. It works.

Noelie said...

I do okay on very low, (although for various reasons right now I have to get back to that) but I know that I haven't felt well at first.

I have been wondering, because of those events as of late, is that I might need to look harder at having personal problems with yeast. I don't think this would be why everyone doesn't feel well, but I got to try some Kombucha for a few days that was made with herbal teas, and I got that "low carb sick feeling". I got feeling really well a day or two later as things got moving, so I am going to start tracking more information on this.

As I said I wouldn't diagnose for anyone else, and certainly not their carb intake! Such a thing is so personal, for so many reasons having to do with health, age and family preferences.

So power you to ladies and what is working right!