Thursday, March 19, 2020

Perspective on Corona Virus Craziness - Is it possible to find joy?


Hehehe. I’m a little chagrined to admit that the woman who would like to write a book about Laughter and Lemons has not been laughing much in the past week. COVID-19 social distancing precautions have this extrovert feeling more than a little glum.

I was looking over the cards where I’ve written goals for the year in five separate categories, and the top goal on my Spiritual goals card struck me as really being a challenge during these strange pandemic times. It says, “Radiate joy at home, at work, at play – be a SUNBEAM!”

Let me tell you, I have not been radiating joy. Last night when Hubby was scrolling through channels trying to find something to watch unrelated to the corona virus, his options were slim. And why is that? Because sports, in all their forms, have basically been cancelled. Hah! Which made me laugh out loud. You see, in normal times I put up with Hubby’s sports watching but feel just a wee bit resentful. And now that he’d really like something distracting to watch, there’s not even sports. Double hah!

And, yes, I was sitting there beside him on the couch when I started to laugh. And, yes, I told him exactly why I was laughing at him. Clearly I have a long way to go before being able to credibly advise others on how to find happiness amidst the struggles of life.

Or maybe it just means that I’m 100% human and can offer a sincere and heart-felt perspective on just how hard it is to be cheery when times are tough. I’m going with that second option.

Here’s today’s plan – set my next round of 10-day goals around the single yearly goal of being a sunbeam that I listed above. The question is, what are the things I do daily that enable me to feel joy?

I’m in the process of brainstorming. Will you brainstorm too? I’d be VERY interested to know what you do that sparks joy. (And, yes, Marie Kondo’s tidying techniques definitely give me a boost.)

1 comment:

Khjorth said...

Write about what I’m grateful for until I’m feeling grateful.