Monday, June 02, 2014

Finding (and enjoying) Your Niche in Life

Long ago in high school and college biology, I learned about niches -- where a species fits in the ecological scheme of things. Here I am, some 20 years later, making metaphorical connections and figuring out where my niche is in life.

I have been able to rule out a few niches that aren't a fit for me. They include:
  • syndicated parenting columnist
  • skinny person
  • reading aide
  • downhill skiing enthusiast
  • runner
  • golfer
  • Mary Kay beauty consultant
  • tan-skinned person
  • hot dot eater
  • celebrity blogger
Whenever I find myself trying to occupy a niche that isn't really a fit, I end up feeling frustrated, uncomfortable, overwhelmed,  and generally miserable. I've also noticed that in every circumstance there is always someone else filling that niche with skills far exceeding my own.

Is it a mistake to try on a new niche? No. A little trial and error is a great tool for self-discovery. But what I've noticed is that much of my niche failures are often prompted by discontent -- either being dissatisfied with myself or my current place in life. I'm learning that seeking a new niche due to insecurity is almost always a recipe for an unhappy ending.

What's the solution? Finding and reveling in a niche that is uniquely suited to you. Here are a few niches that are a fit for me:
  • 7th grade reading and language arts teacher
  • walker and talker
  • gluten-free eater
  • wife to Eric
  • mother to Jared, Amanda and Natalie
  • interval cycler
  • journal keeper
  • occasional blogger
I know that a niche is a fit when it meets at least one of these criteria: only I can do it, it's highly enjoyable, it brings positive results, and makes me happy.

Good luck finding the niches that fit in your own life!

No comments: