Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Funny Things Kids Say . . .

I'm preparing to give a talk on finding joy as a young mother. As part of my preparation I'm talking about keeping a jounal and decided to share some snippets from the Steno notebooks I keep on each of my children. It's where I've recorded the funny things they've said and done. The following are the excerpts I'm planning to share in my talk. Enjoy!

from Bug's notebook

February 9, 1996 (he's just over 2 years old)
Bug woke up a couple days ago with a diaper rash. He said to Hubby, "Daddy my bottom hurts." And knowing that kisses help things feel better he added, "Daddy, kiss my bottom!"


from Loula Belle's notebook

July 8, 1998 (age 2)
I told Loula Belle that we needed to put her shoes on before going outside. "No!" she said. "I want to wear my toes."

August 28, 1998 (age 2)
Yesterday for breakfast I made "eggs in a basket." I asked Loula Belle where we get eggs from. She didn't seem to know, so Bug told her they come from chickens. Eager to show me she was smart, Lou told me that milk comes from cows. "Where does orange juice come from?" I asked, pointing to her sippy cup. "From horses," she said.


from Beans's notebook

August 29, 2002 (age 3 1/2)
Now that Bug and Loula Belle have started school, it's just Beans and me at home. This morning I was using the bathroom when the phone rang. Beans answered it. "Hello," she said. (pause) "Yes. She's going poop," she says, and then brings me the phone in the bathroom.

I was mortified! And just hung up. But they called right back. Fortunately, it was my sister-in-law, Angie. Boy did we ever have a good laugh!


December 2, 2006 (age 8)
Loula Belle was complaining about the whole-wheat pancakes we were having for breakfast, and Beans said, "I'd rather be hungry than eat these.

And they wonder why I don't like to cook.

6 comments:

Allie's Antics said...

I am so sad to be missing your talk! Please share more. You will do a great job. I will be thinking of you while at the Beav. Hey, what do you think about all the letters to the editor about the lodge?

Suko said...

You were wise to have recorded these gems!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I had no idea you could milk a horse. And get OJ! Wow.

Christie said...

Allie,
It sounds like some moms have been grossly taking advantage of Beaver hospitality. My cousin pulls their camp trailer to the Beav. That way those who don't want to ski can stay nice and warm (and entertained) in the comfort of the family trailer. What do you think a solution is?

Leslie said...

You were so smart to write these down! Please post your talk! You will do a fabulous job. Good luck and share your thoughts when it is over!

Angie said...

Can't wait to hear more tomorrow... Except that since we had to give 1st, 2nd choices I'm not sure if they will let me in to your "popular" class!! hehehe