Monday, December 08, 2008

Fitness Goal: Prepare to Hike to the Wellsville Cone

I've found a goal to help me focus my health and wellness efforts. My goal is to hike to the top of the Wellsville Cone in September of 2009. Here are the specifics of the hike from "Cache Trails -- 2004 edition."

Deep Canyon Trail to Wellsville Ridge Trail

Distance: 6.1 miles up the Deep Canyon trail and along the Wellsville Ridge to the Wellsville Cone

Rating: Strenuous

Elevation Gain: 4,070 ft.


I plan to purchase the maps of the hiking area, maybe even post them as additional motivation to keep me on track. I haven't sat down to create a detailed game plan yet, but I'm going to start by walking everyday with my dog and gradually increase our walking time. Twice a month I'll do a hike in the nearby mountains, starting easy and working my way to longer and more difficult hikes.

During the winter I'll snow shoe and come spring and summer I should be well on my way to better health and stamina. Because the hike is steep and strenuous, I'm going to feel it in my knees. I'm planning to do weight training that will focus on building my leg muscles to support my knees.

I also think it would be fun to invite the Young Women in my ward to join in my hikes. We can do some of the easier ones in preparation for girls' camp. I'm also planning to invite them to join me on the final hike up the Wellsville mountains. I wish that I'd had the opportunity to hike them when I was younger, back when my body actually worked.

But it's not too late for me. I'm excited about this hike like I've not been excited about anything in a long time! Yeeha! Watch me go!

4 comments:

Allie's Antics said...

Hey
Can I invite myself to join you? I am always begging someone to hike the Wellsville's with me!

Suko said...

Good for you! Wish I lived nearby to join you! Sounds like a grand climb!

I've been walking my dog in the early mornings 3 to 4 times a week for a couple of months. Some walks are strenuous, others are more social (if I walk with a friend and her dog). The important thing is to get out and MOVE!

Crazylady said...

Great plan! I hope it all goes really well for you.

Flashlight Girl said...

Can I come, too! Seriously. Last child in Kindergarten come September. . .sigh. Also, I will be doing the handcart thing with the YM/YW this summer, so I'd better get moving. I think I'm about done with physical therapy. . .:)