Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Helpful Low-Carb Diet Tips

I'm on day four of my new low-carb lifestyle. The following tips are helping me stay on track. I've dropped 1 1/2 lbs. already. I can tell it's water weight. (I didn't have to take a dieuretic this morning. Yippee!)

1. Keep carb consumption at dinner LOW, because you won't be burning them off.

2. Write down what you eat. Not only does it help you know how many carbs you've eaten, but it can also come in handy for future menu ideas.

3. Go grocery shopping only once a week. I already try to do this, but like how it prevents me from buying impulse goodies. This tip saves money, gas, and time.

4. Plan, plan, plan! Not only do I write down the week's dinner menu, but I also stock up on easy snacks: natural PB on celery, cottage cheese with non-fat yogurt, fresh fruits and veggies -- mostly veggies. (It really helps that our garden is supplying lots of peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots and onions.)

5. Practice preventative eating. I try to eat little snacks between meals so I don't get ravenous and then chow down on whatever is readily available (like cereal, bread, etc.)

6. Read labels. Instead of focusing on fat content, note the total carbohydrate content and how much of it is fiber (can be subtracted from the total to get net carbs) and sugar. Avoid products with lots of sugars.

7. Remember that only lean and active people can tolerate a lot of carbs. That's not me . . . YET! (And even when it is, I'm not going to overdo the carbs like I used to.)

8. Follow the plan 90% of the time, and treat yourself to a favorite food 10% of the time. I can still enjoy a Dove dark chocolate, but when I do, it will be earlier in the day instead of in the evening.

9. Stay motivated. This blog is a big part of my motivation. I have to practice what I preach. I try to also focus on positive results of my new lifestyle: weight loss, more energy, less water retention.

So far, so good.

2 comments:

Flashlight Girl said...

Does low-carb simply equate to very limited simple sugars? How does whole wheat flour figure in? What about fruit? It's technically a simple sugar, but our brain needs a supply of those to function properly. I loved your tips! Especially the eating late in the evening one. I simply cannot lose weight if I eat after dinner or eat a late dinner (after 7:30). I'm struggling with the weight loss thing. I'm having to work so hard just to maintain my current weight (which isn't my "ultimate" goal). I've decided to give myself another week or two and if I haven't lost any more weight, I'm changing my goal to what I weigh now. I feel like a quitter, but I just don't know how to make my body do more and still be happy. I'm okay being where I am, it was just a vanity goal I guess. I'm glad to know that someone I respect and love struggles with this body-loves-food issue. Keep going!

Christie said...

If I follow the guidelines in the Low-Carb Dieting for Dummies book, I can have 5 carbohydrate servings a day. (Fruits, Vegetables, and low-fat proteins are "free.") The best way to use the 5 servings of carbs is with 3 whole-grain items (w.wheat bread would be fine) and then 2 legume servings. I think that they Dummie book is not too drastic and something I could follow for life. I've yet to re-read the S. Beach diet book. I'll let you know what I think.

(Note: I'm jealous that you can adjust your WW goal and be within the acceptable limits. I had to go to my Dr. and say, "I weighed what they want me to set for my goal when I got married. Chances of getting there again are very slim." Sigh.) Good for you!