Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Chickens -- A low-carb dieter's best friends



Everyone trying to lose weight with a low-carb lifestyle should have some chickens. Here's why -- they love table scraps. And they lay eggs.

While table scraps aren't healthy for cats and dogs, they're great for chickens. Just last week I fed my chickens an aging loaf of bread. They gobbled it up. Ditto the leftover pasta and the rest of the vegetable bread that kept calling my name.

With chickens you don't have to feel guilty about tossing out food. You're not wasting it, you're making eggs. And eggs are one of the best parts of my new low-carb lifestyle.

Also, the healthier the table scraps, the more nutrients you'll get from your chickens' eggs. Commercial egg farmers have found that by feeding their hens flax seeds their layers' eggs contain omega-3 fatty acids.

When I make an omelet for breakfast, I rinse out the empty shells and put them in my chicken scrap container. I end up crumbling them over the other scraps of food and feeding them back to my chickens. Doing so helps add calcium to my hens' diets and keeps their egg shells nice and strong.

And, just so you know, brown eggs aren't healthier for you than white eggs. It's all a matter of what kind of feed the chickens get. So, stick to low-carb eating and toss the leftovers to the chickens.

Viva la chickens!

2 comments:

Flashlight Girl said...

Love those chickens!! Seriously, If I'd known what a no-brainer having chickens was going to be, I'd have done it years ago! Home-grown/laid eggs are so much better than chicken factory eggs. (I mean no disrespect to Ritewoods, but . . .) I checked out the Low-Carb for Dummies book at the libray. I figured it was time to educate myself about what you and others I doing. I don't know that I'll adopt the lifestyle in general, but I'm sure there are some helpful tips I could use. Keep the faith!

Christie said...

You'll like the Dummies book. It did, however, greenlight raisins and small amounts of fruit juices, with the caveat that whole fruits are always better. Right now I'm doing a mix of Dummies and South Beach. I hope it works.