Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thoughts on patience

Last night as I was drifting off to sleep I was thinking about my goal of developing patience. Whenever I think about patience, the scriptural example that most often comes to mind is Job. Dear Job. Here was a guy who had everything, lost everything and through it all kept faith in the Lord. Job never shook his fist and asked God, “Why me?” Instead, he exercised faith and supreme patience.

I’m not sure of the chronology, but along with thinking about Job, I was also thinking about the phrase, “What would Jesus Do? (W.W.J.D.)” I’ve always been rather intimidated by that phrase. You could say I don’t really like it. I mean, Jesus is God’s Only Begotten Son. Of course He would behave perfectly – He is, after all, PERFECT. And I’m not.

But as I was thinking about Job, I realized that I could relate to him. Unlike Jesus, Job was 100% human. Hmmmm. What would Job do? (W.W.j.D.) Yeah, I could ask myself that when a situation requiring patience arises.

Could I use that same phrase and apply it to other patient people I know? And who are the patient people in my life? What contemporary can I look to as an example of patience? I think my Grandma Austin fits the bill. What would Glenna do? I like the sound of that.

Who do you look to as an example of patience? What have they done to show patience? I’d be interested in your response.

Oh, and don’t worry about me. I am trying to follow the example of Jesus. It’s just that I’ve seen the phrase W.W.J.D. used too often as a guilt-inducer instead of as a positive and empowering tool. I’m trying to change my attitude and outlook on W.W.J.D. Pretty soon I’ll be using the phrase as it was originally intended.

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

The whole WWJD thing seems a little flippant to me anyway. It is like CTR but because it uses the Lord's name . . . well, we just have to be careful with that sort of thing.

I have an aunt who is like Job. Truthfully, her trials have just about driven her crazy. Literally. I'm not sure I'm ready to pray for patience.

Heidi A. said...

It seems that our trials are specifically fit for us to help us learn the lessons that we desire. If yours in 'patience' then I would imagine that many of your challenges are in that area. I have found that mine are in the areas that I need and I keep wondering when I'm going to get it right. The 'aha' came when I figured this out (with help from the Spirit) because now my trials have a new perspective. They are to help me learn positive things that I have been seeking for.
An old man told my sister once
"if our children don't purify us I don't know what will". Perhaps this is applicable to the traits we are seeking. Isn't it fun! :)